If you use a digital camera, take a photo of the name of your favorite place (from a sign, or write the name on a sheet of paper) and the GPS receiver recording the Lat/Lon for the site just before you take a picture of the place. Then, if you lose your data collection form or become confused about which favorite place photo goes with what Lat/Lon or name you have a record! These extra photos are easily deleted from the camera after you have uploaded your place data.
YFP Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of places can be favorites?
What if I want to make changes in my favorite place description after I have uploaded it?
Can I include more than one photo of my favorite place?
What if I don’t have a GPS to record the Latitude and Longitude?
1. What kind of places can be favorites?
Think about your family taking a trip this coming year. What kinds of places would you like to see during your family adventure? The following list provides some examples of places that 4-H’ers have suggested to date. Perhaps you will think of others not on the list. – wildlife areas – fishing spots – bird watching – creeks – caves – old cemeteries – scenic drives – biking/hiking trails – rock climbing – historical buildings – horse back riding – state/national recreation areas – picnic areas – camp sites – cool barns – shooting/archery ranges – covered bridges – orchards/pick your own places – farmer markets – vineyards – stadiums – ball parks – skate boarding places – bike routes – historical hotels waterfronts – old train stations – boat ramps and launching places – wildlife viewing areas – light rail adventures – short scenic drives – rare car museums – gun clubs – water falls – rock formations – museums – heritage (old) trees – scenic overlooks – monuments/memorials – windmills – light houses – beaches – gardens – road side markets – festivals.
2. What if I want to make changes in my favorite place description after I have uploaded it?
To make changes login and choose “View Your Favorites” from the navigation menu. Click the favorite you wish to edit to display it on the screen. Click “Edit Your Favorite Place”. Make the changes you desire and then click “Upload Data” when complete.
3. Can I include more than one photo of my favorite place?
At this time only one photo of your favorite place may be added to the database.
4. What if I don’t have a GPS to record the Latitude and Longitude?
There are 3 internet sites that we have found helpful:
- The first one, TopoZone is my favorite. It does the most precise job finding a location. It works much better on rural locations. You must be able to read a map and find your location on that map. For more explicit instructions on how to use the site, click here
- The second, Terraserver, has both the topo map and aerial photo that may make it a little easier to recognize the location. For that reason, I use this site as a check of the results from the first. It is a lot more accurate when you already know the Lat & Lon.
- The third site, USAPhotoMaps, is actually one that I only use as a check of the result from the first two. It will allow you to use the information from Terraserver to find a better Lat & Lon. You actually download a small program that uses your information to download an aerial photo from the internet. And puts a “push-pin” at the location.
Need assistance? Contact Youth Favorite Places.